Monday, July 6, 2015

Children and Chainsaws

You gotta love living downstairs from some of your students when you are just chillin' in your bed and children come running in and shoot at you with toy chainsaws and blow dryers.


I recently realized that I have never told any specific stories about teaching. All I have really said is that the kids are crazy, which they are. But they are also hilarious. Teaching English to crazy ninos is definitely super difficult, but rewarding. I do love teaching (most days) and every day I have new crazy stories, but the thing is they cannot be written down. It is not the same effect. Most of the stories involve the children trying to explain things in charades or them saying crazy things in their Spanish accents. So it is hard to convey the humor over text.

Here is one of my favorite stories though. In the 8-9 year old class one of the students was missing. So I asked where Juan was. And they all go off in trying to explain saying "For the this" (that is the phrase they combine with charades to explain everything, and I mean everything), making noises, and doing firework motions with their hands. Jorge is sitting there thoughtfully trying to think of the word while the rest of the students are being noisy. All of a sudden David pipes up and yells, "Explodadation!" And Jorge says "dearrea!" (diarrhea in a Spanish accent-this is why these stories are so much better told in person). A lot of the students think that by adding 'ation' to the end of Spanish words, it makes them English. So that makes for some interesting words. Anyway, the students were all trying to describe to me that Juan was in the bathroom and had explosive diarrhea. Just another day in the life of an ILP teacher...

No comments:

Post a Comment