Sunday, May 3, 2015

My First Proposal


We walked down to Central again today and there was a lot going on! A guy stopped and talked to us for a bit. He was trying to sell us stuff, but also wanted to practice his English. Then we went over and saw what was going on where a huge group of people was gathered and they were all laughing. As we got closer I saw that there were two clowns. One was in the middle saying and doing stuff with audience members. The other was in the crowd collecting donations. We were standing behind some people, but once we got close I said, "Crap, please don't point us out." I don't know why I thought they would ignore the only white girls in a Mexican city, but my plea was unheard. About ten seconds after I said that the clown in the audience saw us and came right over.

He yelled at the other clown to come over to us. They said "Welcome to Pachuca" and "Hi, how are you" in English, but everything else was in Spanish. I did not understand much of anything they said. I can pick up a few words here and there. But they were talking in Spanish and everyone else was laughing. Savannah got her phone out to take a selfie of us. Right as she did the clown yelled "Selfie!" I thought it was funny he knew that in English.



After she took the selfie the clown grabbed my hand and started as if he was walking away. I wasn't really understanding what he said, but the gist of it was "I am going to take her to the church now and marry her." I just took my hand back and shook my head. I wasn't really sure what was going on because I do not understand Spanish well at all. But everyone else had a great laugh over it! It was a super funny experience, but I was extremely confused in the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment